Immigration Quiz

Navigating Permanent Residency: A Guide to Maintaining Your Green Card

Maintaining Your U.S. Permanent Residence – The Essentials

Upon becoming a permanent resident of the United States, it is crucial to adhere to specific regulations to secure your status. As esteemed representatives of the legal community, our firm, Sapochnick Law Firm, is committed to guiding you through the complexities of immigration law.

It is necessary to avoid violating particular criminal or immigration statutes, including the requirement to report a change of address to immigration authorities within ten days. Remember, dwelling outside of the U.S. should not signal a relinquishment of your American residence.

Legal Infractions and the Risk to Your Green Card

One's right to a green card is often endangered by committing offenses; even minor crimes can have major consequences. Examples include abetting illegal entry to the U.S., domestic altercations, minor drug violations, and crimes considered ethically reprehensible (e.g., theft or sexual offenses). Some deportable offenses might not necessitate incarceration.

The list of deportable crimes is not exhaustive. Any arrest warrants consultation with both a criminal and an immigration lawyer to strategize against deportation. Some criminal lawyers might inadvertently jeopardize your immigration status by resolving to plead guilty without recognizing the immigration repercussions.

Non-criminal actions like immigration fraud, such as entering into a sham marriage, also pose a risk.

Immediate address changes must be reported to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within ten days, as failures are taken seriously in today's heightened security environment.

Residency and Extended Travel Abroad

It is a common misconception that simply reentering the U.S. annually secures your green card status. Permanently moving to another country jeopardizes your U.S. residency. Border officials will assess your conduct for signs indicating your real home is elsewhere.

An absence exceeding one year from the U.S. can be problematic upon reentry, as it may convey the notion of residency abandonment. To mitigate the risk, it's advisable to return within six months.

In unique situations, such as unforeseen medical emergencies that extend your absence, you may argue to retain your green card. A reentry permit or special immigrant visa would be required for reentry in such cases.

Green card holders commuting from Canada or Mexico may retain their cards while residing outside the U.S., provided they declare their intention for commuter status to USCIS.

Securing Returning Resident Visas

Should you leave the United States for over a year without securing a reentry permit beforehand, you must acquire a special immigrant visa from a U.S. consulate abroad. Consular officers will require proof that extended travel was temporary and that abandoning U.S. residency was never intended.

Supporting documentation, such as letters from physicians, can substantiate unforeseen extensions of absence.

The Importance of Reentry Permits

For green card holders anticipating an absence from the United States longer than a year, procuring a reentry permit from USCIS is sound practice. This document allows for a two-year stay abroad.

Applications, via Form I-131, are accessible at the USCIS website ( and must be filed before departure. Reissue and renewal of reentry permits are not possible, and applications must be made on American soil.

The Path to Citizenship as a Solution

Streamline your permanent residency by pursuing U.S. Citizenship at the earliest opportunity. Generally, the waiting period post-green card issuance is five years, with certain conditions enabling earlier application.

At Sapochnick Law Firm, your residency is our priority. For personalized counsel on maintaining your green card or navigating the road to citizenship, reach out to us at 619.819.9204.

Client Reviews
Great immigration lawyer, very professional, knowledgeable and experienced. Jacob always answered my questions, e-mails and calls; great customer service from him and everybody at his office. I highly recommend Jacob, probably the best immigration lawyer out there. Plinio Franca
I trust you know how much all of us at the Spreckels Organ Society appreciate your incredible generosity in providing legal assistance with the visas required by the international artists last year during our International Summer Organ Festival. We consider it an honor that you and your firm provided this service, and were delighted to publicize your firm in our concert materials. George H.
That's good news on the approval of our 3 executive L1A visas. You fought a tough RFE, but we won. We are pleased to be working with you. KB is also bringing passports tomorrow again to the US Embassy in Tashkent for visa processing. We look forward to his arrival to the US. Sarvar
I wanted to thank again and again for obtaining my E1 Treaty Trader visa for me. The process was not easy, especially since our trade was all based on Technology. You knew the law, and was able to craft an outstanding file to be presented to Immigration. We are now ready to take the business to the next level. Toda Raba
Thanks for helping me with my marriage-based immigration case. You were very accessible - taking my calls, returning my messages and emails promptly. You answered all my questions. I was most impressed and relieved that you attended the immigration interview with me and my wife. You made the whole process streamline and simple. You really know your stuff, and you're a nice, friendly guy as well. Shane P.