Immigration Quiz

H-2A Visas

H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers

The H-2A program was enacted to bring foreign workers to the United States to fill temporary and/or seasonal agricultural jobs that existing American workers are not qualified, willing, or able to take. Nationals from select countries are eligible for the H-2A Agricultural Worker program. Every year the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) publishes a list of eligible H-2A countries in what is known as a Federal Register notice. Designation of eligible countries is valid for a period of one year from the date of publication. Only an American employer, agent, or association of American agricultural producers can file a petition on the foreign worker’s behalf.

In order to do so, the petitioner must meet the following requirements:

  • Present the foreign worker(s) with a job offer of a temporary or seasonal nature;
  • Demonstrate that there is only a temporary need for the type of services or labor to be performed by the foreign worker(s);
  • Demonstrate that there is an absence of U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to perform the temporary work;
  • Demonstrate that the employment of H-2A workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed American workers
  • The foreign worker must have a foreign residence outside of the United States that he or she has no intention of abandoning;
  • The employer may be an individual proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation;
  • The employer must submit a valid temporary labor certification from the Department of Labor along with the H-2A petition;
For Answers to Your Personal Questions
Contact a U.S. Immigration Law Expert Today
Applying for the H-2A Visa

A U.S. employer must file USCIS Form I-129 Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker with the H supplement on behalf of the foreign worker(s). An individual cannot file such a visa on their own accord. The first step for the employer is to file a temporary labor certification with the U.S. Department of Labor at least 45 days before the day of the foreign worker’s intended employment. This is required for several reasons 1) to determine the availability of U.S. workers 2) to determine if the employment of the foreign worker will adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed workers in the United States. An H-2A certification is valid for up to 364 days. Once the temporary labor certification application is approved by the Department of Labor, the second step is for the Petitioner to file USCIS Form I-129 along with the H supplement, and the original signed labor certification. If the foreign worker is in the United States in lawful status, the Petitioner should request a Change/Extension of status on USCIS Form I-129 on behalf of the Beneficiary. The Beneficiary will not be able to travel outside of the United States while the petition is pending. If the Beneficiary is outside of the United States the foreign worker must apply for the H-2A visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad once the I-129 is approved.

H-2A Eligible Countries

As designated by the Department of Homeland Security nationals from the following countries are eligible to participate in the H-2A program effective January 18, 2015. Foreign nationals from countries in bold are eligible for the H-2A program effective January 18, 2016.

AndorraEthiopiaLuxembourgSan Marino
BarbadosGermanyMoldova H-2A only*Slovenia
BelgiumGreeceMexicoSolomon Islands
BelizeGrenadaMonacoSouth Africa
BrazilGuatemalaMontenegroSouth Korea
BulgariaHondurasThe NetherlandsSweden
ChileIcelandNew ZealandTaiwan
Costa RicaIsraelPanamaTimor-Leste
CroatiaItalyPapua New GuineaTonga
Czech RepublicJamaicaPeruTurkey
DenmarkJapanThe PhilippinesTuvalu
Dominican RepublicKiribatiPolandUkraine
EcuadorLatviaPortugalUnited Kingdom
El SalvadorLichtensteinRomaniaUruguay

What about nationals that are absent from the list? Nationals that do not appear on the list above may only be designated as beneficiaries of an approved H-2A petition if the Secretary of Homeland Security determines that it is in the best interest of the Unites States to admit the beneficiary on the H-2A visa program.


Dependents (spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age) of H-2A workers are entitled to H-4 status with the same restrictions as the principal foreign worker. Dependents may not be employed under the H-4 classification. To work in the United States the dependents of a principal foreign worker will need to change their status to a non-immigrant category for which employment is authorized.

Duration of Stay

Such visas are issued for a period of up to one year. Extensions of H-2A visas may be granted for two additional years, however, after the second extension is sought, the foreign worker must remain outside of the United States for an uninterrupted period of three months before applying for re-admission as an H-2A non-immigrant. There are certain instances where the foreign workers time spent outside of the United States interrupts the authorized stay of the H-2A worker and does not count toward the 3 year limit. For assistance with this issue please contact an attorney. An extension may be authorized for the validity of the labor certification or for a period of up to one year. The employer is required to seek the certification with the DOL regarding the continued unavailability of the United States workers during each extension that is sought.

Employee Compliance

An H-2A Petitioner is required to notify the California Service Center (by email or mail) within 2 workdays if the H-2A worker 1) fails to report to work within 5 work days of the start date on the H-2A petition or start date established by the employer 2) leaves their employment without providing notice and does not report to work for a period of 5 consecutive workdays without consent from the employer 3) is terminated before the completion of the H-2A labor or services 4) completes the labor or services more than 30 days earlier than the date specified on the H-2A petition.

Visa Lawyer Blog - Work Visas
Client Reviews
Great immigration lawyer, very professional, knowledgeable and experienced. Jacob always answered my questions, e-mails and calls; great customer service from him and everybody at his office. I highly recommend Jacob, probably the best immigration lawyer out there. Plinio Franca
I trust you know how much all of us at the Spreckels Organ Society appreciate your incredible generosity in providing legal assistance with the visas required by the international artists last year during our International Summer Organ Festival. We consider it an honor that you and your firm provided this service, and were delighted to publicize your firm in our concert materials. George H.
That's good news on the approval of our 3 executive L1A visas. You fought a tough RFE, but we won. We are pleased to be working with you. KB is also bringing passports tomorrow again to the US Embassy in Tashkent for visa processing. We look forward to his arrival to the US. Sarvar
I wanted to thank again and again for obtaining my E1 Treaty Trader visa for me. The process was not easy, especially since our trade was all based on Technology. You knew the law, and was able to craft an outstanding file to be presented to Immigration. We are now ready to take the business to the next level. Toda Raba
Thanks for helping me with my marriage-based immigration case. You were very accessible - taking my calls, returning my messages and emails promptly. You answered all my questions. I was most impressed and relieved that you attended the immigration interview with me and my wife. You made the whole process streamline and simple. You really know your stuff, and you're a nice, friendly guy as well. Shane P.