Immigration Quiz

Establishing Your U.S. Citizenship

Are you taking the step to assert your U.S. citizenship? Let's ensure you have the official documentation to back it up.

For individuals born within the United States, the typical proof of citizenship is your state-issued birth certificate—not to be mistaken with a birth record given by a hospital, which is not recognized as official proof.

Those who have achieved citizenship through the naturalization process should possess a naturalization certificate showing their U.S. citizenship status.

Now, if you were born outside the U.S. borders but your citizenship is derived from your U.S. citizen parents, you won't have a U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate. In such situations, the path forward includes the acquisition of a U.S. passport or a certificate of citizenship.

U.S. Passports as Proof of Citizenship

Were your first breaths taken abroad as the child of U.S. citizen parents? You're entitled to apply for a U.S. passport with extra steps to verify your citizenship. You'll require:

  • Parental evidence of U.S. citizenship,
  • Documentation of your parents' adherence to U.S. residency prerequisites, and
  • Confirmation of meeting necessary residency obligations or exemptions therefrom.

Requisite substantiation may consist of parental birth or citizenship records, employment or tax files, or explanatory affidavits.

Passports are procurable from passport offices stateside or U.S. consulates internationally. Nonetheless, many find that U.S. consulates are often more conducive to success in these matters.

Acquisition of Citizenship Certificates

Another avenue for affirming your U.S. citizenship lies in applying for a citizenship certificate through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Regardless of your U.S. citizenship status, you can apply for this certificate, but note that only USCIS offices within the U.S. issue such documents.

Securing citizenship through this channel can be more arduous due to longer processing times. But if you acquired U.S. citizenship automatically via a parent's naturalization, applying for this certificate may be quite straightforward, as you’d generally have ready access to the necessary proof.

Supporting evidence for your application should encompass the birth and naturalization certificates of your parents and your birth, marriage, or divorce documents to verify your identity and any name changes.

Registration of Birth Abroad

A Consular Registration of Birth Abroad is a conclusive piece of evidence for those born overseas to U.S. citizens who registered the birth with a U.S. consulate within five years. But if your birth wasn't reported within that timeframe, or the original and copies are misplaced, you'll need to proceed with getting a passport or a citizenship certificate.

For support navigating your application for a passport or certificate of citizenship, and for assistance in all related matters, contact Sapochnick Law Firm at 619.819.9204. Our team is here to guide you through each step of confirming your cherished U.S. citizenship.

Client Reviews
Great immigration lawyer, very professional, knowledgeable and experienced. Jacob always answered my questions, e-mails and calls; great customer service from him and everybody at his office. I highly recommend Jacob, probably the best immigration lawyer out there. Plinio Franca
I trust you know how much all of us at the Spreckels Organ Society appreciate your incredible generosity in providing legal assistance with the visas required by the international artists last year during our International Summer Organ Festival. We consider it an honor that you and your firm provided this service, and were delighted to publicize your firm in our concert materials. George H.
That's good news on the approval of our 3 executive L1A visas. You fought a tough RFE, but we won. We are pleased to be working with you. KB is also bringing passports tomorrow again to the US Embassy in Tashkent for visa processing. We look forward to his arrival to the US. Sarvar
I wanted to thank again and again for obtaining my E1 Treaty Trader visa for me. The process was not easy, especially since our trade was all based on Technology. You knew the law, and was able to craft an outstanding file to be presented to Immigration. We are now ready to take the business to the next level. Toda Raba
Thanks for helping me with my marriage-based immigration case. You were very accessible - taking my calls, returning my messages and emails promptly. You answered all my questions. I was most impressed and relieved that you attended the immigration interview with me and my wife. You made the whole process streamline and simple. You really know your stuff, and you're a nice, friendly guy as well. Shane P.