On November 20, 2014, President Obama announced a number of executive measures to be implemented by the government agencies that are aimed to optimize the immigration system. Following the announcement, a number of memoranda were issued setting forth additional directives for modernizing and streamlining the visa system. These reforms will impact several important parts of the immigration system, and include:
These reforms will impact several important parts of the immigration system, and include:
- Changes to Enforcement Priorities and the Exercise of Prosecutorial Discretion
- A deferred action program for certain illegal immigrants currently residing in the U.S.
- Improvements to the visa process and adjudication of business and family petitions
The following is a summary in the Q and A format of the most important elements of the President’s announcement that are set to be implemented in the following months.
- Expanded DACA
- Enforcement Priorities and Exercise of Prosecutorial Discretion
- Business Immigration Changes
We will keep updating this webpage as more details come out regarding the implementation of the President’s directives.